maganbagan

The Storyspinner
Becky Wallace
Mortal Heart
Robin LaFevers
Arcadia Awakens - Kai Meyer When I saw that this book had Mafia elements in it and some ancient myths, I definitely wanted to check it out. And since it was originally published in Germany, I was glad when I learned it would come out in the U.S. this year.

After dealing with a horrible tragedy, Rosa Alcantara moves to Sicily to live with her sister and aunt and start over. Though she knows her family is a part of the Mafia, she doesn't really think about it. At least until She meets Alessandro Carnevare, the son of an enemy Mafia clan to her family.

The more time she spends with him, the more she realizes he, and her family, are keeping secrets. Secrets that prove deadly and terrifying, the further she delves. When she discovers a tiger with familiar looking eyes, Rosa knows that she can never go back.

Okay, so anyone who's read or seen anything involving the mafia should know that they can be pretty cutthroat. No boundaries or convictions. Well, even if haven't, you'll definitely get a taste of it in this book. Kai Meyer isn't gruesome, but you get an idea of what a Mafia clan is like. I had a bit of a hard time with that at first, but the more I read, the more I wanted to know what was going on.

I liked the fact that there was a paranormal element to this story as well. It wasn't just about the mob or a forbidden romance. And you weren't really sure where it was all leading. What exactly could they do? Why were his eyes so familiar? The build-up left you with just enough to want to keep going.

From where it left off though, I can say that I want to continue the series. We only got part of the story, but I'm interested to find out where it all leads. Ancient myths, familial secrets, Mafia control all within the Sicilian country-side.