maganbagan

The Storyspinner
Becky Wallace
Mortal Heart
Robin LaFevers
Falling Under - Gwen Hayes Falling Under is one of those books that just completely takes you by surprise. It's dark and tempting and twisted and completely amazing. Gwen Hayes knew what she was doing with this.

Theia Alderson has led an extremely sheltered life. Not only does moving from London to the States make her feel out of place, but also her very closed off life. She does what her father tells her to do, dresses the way he wants her to, even plays the violin because he expects it.

It isn't until she dreams about a boy, Haden, and then sees him at school the next day that her life begins to change. Each dream gets stranger and stranger, bringing her further into the world of Under and confusing her about who Haden really is. What is he really hiding?

Gwen did an excellent job of building the anticipation of this story, leaving the readers wanting to know more. Theia is one of those characters that you can't help but love because she's so sweet and innocent, never having really experienced much, and watching her realize that she's capable of so much more is great.

Our first glimpse into the world of under made me think of a twisted version of Alice in Wonderland. It's not all fun an games in this world. And Theia's two best friends are her two constants. They add a bit of comic relief to the somewhat tense story line and are there for her when she really needs them. I loved the flow of this story and was sad when I finally reached the end.

The sequel to this book, Dreaming Awake, is sure to be just as jaw dropping and intense as the first. I can't to find out what Gwen has in store for her characters next.